3/21/2012

Countdown to Hunger Games - Stencil Shirt Tutorial


Because The Hunger Games is coming out THIS FRIDAY, because I've had my tickets for the midnight premier for over a month, and because me and my boyfriend are stupid cute, I spent a lot of yesterday making these matching Hunger Games quote shirts for us to wear at the premier. I tried out the freezer paper stencil technique and it worked amazingly.

Materials

1. Freezer paper - Don't waste your money on the specialty quilter kind.  All you need is the regular freezer paper found by the Ziploc bags and Reynold's wrap.
2. A print-out of what you want the stencil to be. You could also draw it yourself on the freezer paper, if you're talented like that.
3. A shirt that you want the design to be on
4. An iron
5. An exacto knife and a cutting board.
6. Fabric paint - I purchased mine at Joann Fabric. It's the Tulip brand and the color is Gold in the glitter variety. You can find this by the t-shirts and appliques.
7. A paint brush - I used a cheap Crayola one from Walmart. Joann's sells "fabric brushes" but they're pricey, and the Crayola ones worked just fine for me.


First I printed what I wanted on the shirt from the computer. I kind of had to guess what size would work. My shirt used a size 400 on everything but you can eyeball it and then use trial and error to figure out what size works for you and your shirt.

After I did that, I placed the print-outs under the freezer paper and traced them onto the non-plastic side.


Once your design is all traced, cut out any inside parts to letters with your exacto knife and place them to the side. We'll be using them later. After that, cut out the rest of the letters.

Once everything is cut out, place the stencil on your shirt, add the inside pieces back in to the letters, and iron your stencil to your shirt. The freezer paper will adhere to the shirt, but it will peel right up after the painting is done. Placement is key, so be sure your design is straight and centered where you want it. You can do this by either measuring or eyeballing, whatever you are more comfortable with.


From there, use your fabric paint to paint over the stencil. I used two coats to get maximum glitter coverage. I put a layer of freezer paper inside the shirt to keep my paint from bleeding through. (I wasn't sure whether it would or not but I didn't want to risk it)
Note: I painted designs on both sides of my shirts. After I painted one side, I dried the paint with a hair dryer and left it for two hours before I turned it over to work on the other side.

Follow the paint manufacturer's instructions for setting the paint. I know that some paints require you to set it with an iron. Mine didn't, but be sure to check the bottle for directions just in case. 

Let it dry, and voila! You're done.

How I did the Mockingjay:

The Mockingjay pin stencil was difficult because of all the little intricate details. The part you want ironed to the shirt is actually the negative space, not the actual picture so I was worried about keeping the shape true. What I did was first cut out every piece, and then ironing the whole thing to the shirt by putting all the pieces together like puzzle. (It's easy when you're not just working with the empty space around the bird).


Then I peeled up the bird part so that the positive space is perfectly true to the picture I traced. Yay! 

My Design

The front of my shirts say <3HG in Black Jack, size 400 font. The heart was made by a capital A in the 2peas GGs Love Me font. 
The front of Eric's shirt is a small picture of the Mockingjay pin, found via Google.

The back of our shirts is a quote from Peeta and Katniss. I used the font Aubrey in a size 300.

If I was making this shirt for only myself, not as a "couple" thing, I probably would have combined the two quotes so the whole back of the shirt would say
Real 
or not
real?
...Real.

or something like that. Just an idea!

Enjoy.

post signature



No comments:

Post a Comment